This is another version of Milagai podi that Lil Angel loves to have due to the tinge of sweetness in this podi. Mom adds a little jaggery and this changes the taste of this spice mix....
Channa dal - cup
Urad dal – 1 cup
Sesame seed – ¼ cup
Red chilli -5
Jaggery , powdered – ¼ cup
Oil -2 teaspoons
- Dry roast sesame seeds till they splutter and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast red chilli for a minute. Drain and keep side. When you are in this step, be sure to keep the windows open and switch on the exhaust fan.
- In the same oil, roast the channa dal and urad dal along with the asafetida.
- Cool and powder along with salt and sesame seed.
- When the mixture is semi- coarse, add the jaggery and run the mixier in short bursts. You can powder it coarsely or finely, the choice is yours.
- Spread out on a plate and store in an air tight container after an hour.
- This is a great side dish with idli / dosa.
- We like to have it like a spread on chapathi. Mix this powder with a little oil and spread over chapathi. Roll it and serve along with tea / coffee…Yum…..
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16
This Day That Year....
2011 - Tadka Bread with Yogurt Dip
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Magic Masalas, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties