Lil Angel is enjoying her vacation . After her summer camp classes and a siesta , she watches her favorite shows on TV. Even if the same cartoons are repeated, she does not mind watching them all over again and the way she watches it makes it look like she is viewing them for the first time!!
On those rare occasions when Lil dude does not seek my attention and Lil Angel ‘allows’ me to watch TV, I like to tune into some channel that has either comedy shows or cookery show.
So, one day when Lil champ was sleeping an LIl Angel was busy with her coloring book, I saw enjoying a cookery show on TV. It was about using herbs in cooking to enjoy its benefits. In that show, the chef was taking about the nutritional significance of vegetables and how we throw away the peel of vegetables when they can be put to better use. One such peel that he used was Chow chow.
This chutney can be prepared in a jiffy if you have readymade tomato onion paste and roasted urad dal powder. Here is the recipe…..
Chow chow peel ,chopped- 1 cup
Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
Tomato -1 ,chopped
Red chilli – 2
Tamarind paste – ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Oil -1 teaspoon
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Channa dal – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves – a few
- Dry roast the urad dal till light brown and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and put in onion and red chilli. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Put in the chow chow peel and cook till the peel is tender.
- Add the tomato and cook till mushy. Allow to cool.
- Grind the urad dal to a fine powder and then add the tomato-onion-peel mixture,salt.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Add a little water if required.
- Remove into a dish.
- Heat oil for seasoning and put in the ingredients under ‘ seasoning’.
- When the mustard splutters and the dal turns brown, pour into the chutney.
- Mix well and serve
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16