Beetroot is one of the vegetables that we love for the beautiful color it imparts to the dish. Though it stains the hands, the grater, cutting board and many times even the dress, beetroot finds itself on our table quite often.
Presenting to you today on Day 1,week 2 of Blogging Marathon #16, a simple chutney that is colorful and tasty.This chutney goes well with idli / dosa varieties.
Grated beetroot – 1 cup
Grated coconut- ½ cup
Red chilli – 1
Tamarind extract- 1 teaspoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
- In a pan heat 1 teaspoon oil put in red chilli and beetroot. Sauté beetroot till the raw smell goes off.
- Put in the coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame.Let it cool.
- Grind it to a smooth mixture along with tamarind extract, salt and a little water.Remove into a serving dish.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and put in mustard.When it splutters, pour over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with a tiffin of your choice.
The same chutney can also be prepared using lentils instead of coconut, thus increasing the shelf life of the dish.
Roast ¼ cup urad dal with 2 tablespoons of urad dal, red chilli in a little oil. When the dal turns brown remove from heat and allow to cool. Grind along with sautéed beetroot, tamarind extract, salt. Season as above.
Other recipes with beetroot:
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16
Labels: Beetroot, Blogging Marathon, Goodies from veggies, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side