It is no big deal to cook without vegetables, fruits and use only lentils - that is what I learnt when mom told me about the food preparation during the Saaka Vratha. Even though we do not observe these fasts, here is a tasty and healthy kheer that can be had on all days....
Moon dal - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - less than 1/4 cup
Milk 2-3 cups
- Pressure cook moongdal with enough water and lightly mash it while still warm.
- Heat a pan and add jaggery and a little water [less than 1/4 cup]. When it starts melting, add the moong dal and milk.Stir to mix.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat
- Serve warm.
- Sugar can be used instead of jaggery.. But this is more tasty .Generally payasas/kheer is prepared with jaggery.
- Sometimes the jaggery can have impurities. Dissolve the jaggery in water ,strain and then use in the recipe.
- The kheer tastes even better if the moong dal is cooked in milk.
- For extra tasty kheer, dry roast the moong dal till light brown and then pressure cook it.
- While preparing this on non-fasting days, cardamom can be used for flavoring and roasted cashews and raisins can also be added.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Madhwa Cuisine, Payasam, Split Moong Dal Recipes, Sweet temptations