Pearl onion is said to be a 'body coolant'. During the post-partum period, it is essential to keep the body cool. When this rice is taken as the first part of lunch, it is said to cool the body. Even a small amount of this rice is beneficial to health!
Pearl onion / shallots - 10 numbers, peeled and finely chopped
Cooked rice- 2 cups
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Gram dal -1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard,gram dal and curry leaves.
- When the gram dal turns brown ,add the onion and saute till it turns light brown.
- Add salt and the cooked rice and lower the flame.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Generally chillies are not added, but if you prefer a spicy dish, add green / red chillies to suit your taste.
- Pearl onions are best suited for this dish but if it is not available, regular onions can also be used.