A very tasty and filling one pot meal that everyone will love. But I must warn you that you need a lot of puffed rice if you are going to make this for a crowd....
Puffed rice - 250 grams
Potato- 1, medium sized, peeled and cubed
Sweet corn- a handful
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Tamarind extract- 1 tablespoon , thick
Curry leaves- a few
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Microwave the potato and sweet corn till done. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard, curry leaves.
- When it splutters , add the onion,curry leaves and saute till translucent.
- Put in the grated carrot and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder and tamarind extract.
- Mix well. Add a little water,around half a cup.Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile take the puffed rice in a colander and pour water over it.Squeeze out the water and add to the pan.
- Mix well and when the mixture is dry remove from heat.
- You can prepare the mixture until step 6 and when you are ready to serve cook up the last bit.
- Grated carrot is not added in the original recipe but I added it for a bit of color.
- Don't soak the puffed rice in water. It will get too soggy.
This Day That Year
2010 - Get to know the famous Chinese Ingredient - Goji Berry and try out two simple and easy recipes with it - Goji berry tea and Sweet potato mash with Goji berry