Way back in January we went to Lil Angel's School for her interview. That was a very tense morning for me. I was worried what questions they would ask her and was wondering if she would answer them correctly. Only after the interview process was over learnt she had secured a seat in kinder-garden,did I relax.
Then my tummy reminded me with a growl that I had not cared for it since morning. In a hurry to go to school, I literally forgot to have breakfast. So off we went to the school canteen. We were greeted by the snacks on display and I gladly went in for these bread rolls and Lil Angel followed suit. She loved them and I promised myself to prepare these for her.Later we came home and celebrated with a Healthy Oats Cake
Though I prepare these at least once a month, they get their recognition on the blog just today.
Bread slices - as required [1 slice per bread roll].
Potato - 2 , peeled boiled and coarsely mashed
Onion- 1, chopped
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
- In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil and put in mustard and cumin seeds
- When they crackle, add the onion and saute till it turns translucent.
- Put in the boiled and mashed potato, chilli powder and salt. Mix well to combine.Cook for a couple of minutes and keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take a bread slice and dip it in water for a couple of seconds.
- Place the slice in between the palms of your hands and press out the water. See that it retains the shape.
- Place a roll of the filling in the center and close the bread slice to cover the filling.
- Repeat for the other slices.
- Once the oil is hot, turn it to medium heat and gently drop the bread rolls into the oil.
- Fry till golden brown [in batches]
- Drain on absorbent paper.
Serve with tomato sauce / coriander chutney or a side dish of your choice.
- You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder in step 3.
- Any vegetable filling can be used. Even left over dry vegetable curries can be used as a filling.
- These rolls can also be baked instead of deep frying them.
- Fresh / leftover bread can be used.
This day That year....
Labels: Ingbread, Party Snacks, Potato, Recipes with Bread, Snack Bar, Vegan varieties