Dragon fruit is a pretty little fruit that I fell in love with.Here are some interesting facts about this fruit....
Hylocereus it has red skin and white flesh,the one that is commonly referred to as the dragon fruit.
- This fruit comes from a cactus like plant
- It is called huǒ lóng guǒ in China and the other names included - Pitaya/ pitahaya / lóng zhū guǒ/ strawberry pear or nanettikafruit.
- There are three varieties of this fruit -
Hylocereus polyrhizus it has red skin and red flesh.
Selinecereus megalanthus it has yellow skin and white flesh.
- It is rich in Vitamin C
- It is said to lower blood glucose level.
- Improves appetite and digestion
- Helps strengthen bones,teeth,good vision.
- Improves memory!!!
A glimpse of the beautiful dragon fruit....
This is how you prepare the fruit for the salad / smoothie / sorbet....
Using a sharp knife cut the fruit length wise.
Insert a spoon between the skin and the flesh of the fruit and run it along the cut half.
Remove the flesh and keep aside.Scoop out the remaining flesh if its sticking to the skin
Check if the skin is sticking onto the flesh and remove it
.Cube the flesh and use as desired
Recipes with dragon fruit
Labels: Dragon Fruit, How To......