I am so late in posting the recipe for Herbs and Flowers in my platter.This month's hostess is Krithi of Krithi's Kitchen and she has chosen Coriander.
I made this simple thokku / pickle that is a great side dish with curd rice. You can also use it as a side dish for breakfast dishes like idli and dosa.
Coriander leaves - 2 cups, packed
Green chillies -3 , chopped
Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball soaked in hot water
Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder -a pinch
Gingelly / sesame seed oil - 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Separate the leaves from the stalk, wash well and drain. It need not be 100% dry.
- Extract tamarind pulp and keep aside.
- Grind together coriander leaves, green chillies with a little tamarind extract into a paste. The paste can be smooth or coarse depending on how you like it.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, cumin and asafoetida powder.
- When it crackles, add the paste, salt, a little more tamarind pulp.
- Cook till the extra water evaporates and oil oozes out from the pickle.
- Let it cool completely.
- Transfer into an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
If you are interested in hosting a herb / flower , drop me a line - email@example.com
- This can be stored for around 10 days in the fridge and for a couple of months in the freezer.For the above quantity, it will disappear before a week!
- The quantity of tamarind, green chillies can be adjusted to suit your taste.
Labels: Cooking with herbs / flowers, Herbs, Pickle Recipes, Pickles, Sun Dried / Preserves, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side