Though I had originally planned to write about diet and diabetes as theme for today's post, I was not able to complete it on time today.But I will surely be posting it within a week.So here is a diabetic friendly dish for today that is protein rich and has fiber to give a feeling of fullness.Goes well with rice and chapathi.
Kala Channa - 1 cup
Spinach - 1 bunch, roughly chopped
Onion -1 , chopped
Tomato - 1 chopped
Garlic- 3 pods, sliced
Tamarind paste- 1 teaspoon, dilutes in 1/2 cup water
Sambar powder- 2 teaspoons
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
- Soak kala channa over night and the next morning rinse with a fresh batch of water.
- Pressure cook with adequate water till soft but not mushy.
- Drain the excess water and reserve it.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the onion and garlic.Saute till onion is translucent.
- Put in tomato and cook till mushy.
- Add the spinach leave and wait for it to wilt.
- Put in tamarind extract, sambar powder, salt and bring to boil.
- Simmer till the raw flavor of tamarind goes off.
- Add the boiled channa and adjust the consistency with the reserved water that was used to boil the channa
- Simmer till it thickens. If you like , you can mash a handful of channa in a mixie and add to the gravy.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish.
Check out what the Marathoners are doing in Season #4 of the blogging marathon hosted by Srivalli
Diabetes Diet/Management: PJ[That's me]
Kid Friendly Recipes: Suma, Priya Suresh, Divya
Seven Days of Soup:Ila, Smita P
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Monika
Seven Days of Cakes: Bhagyashri
30 Minutes Meals: Archana
Seven days of Condiment: Kamalika, Srivalli
Labels: Better Half, Misc Rice Sides, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side