Tava Pulao is yet another treat from the roadside chaat-stall.Rice is flavored with Pav bhaji masala which makes the dish all the more tasty and give a 'chaat' feel to the rice.Addition of vegetables makes it tasty and healthy.I fell in love with this dish as it can be put together in a jiffy.
This recipe is to be prepared on a tava / griddle, as the name suggests.But you can also use a regular pan / wok.Butter is usually used but I substituted it with regular cooking oil.So, here is my version of this dish which is going to be a part of Flavors of Maharasthtra hosted here.
|Tava Pulao served with rice crips|
Cooked rice, grains separate - 2 cups
Chopped capsicum - 1/4 a cup[ I used red and green capsicum]
Frozen peas - 1/4 cup
Onion- 1, sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Pav bhaji masala - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Coriander / Mint leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When it crackles, add the onion, ginger garlic paste and saute till the onion turns transparent.
- Add the tomato, capsicum, peas and a little water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the pav bhaji masala and salt and more water if it is too dry.Keep stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well and cover and cook for 2 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander / mint leaves.
This rice tastes great on its own, but it can also be served with pappad / chips / any crisps and a raita.
Labels: Green Peas, KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties