After preparing Aloo Dum from Kashmir,this month we came down to recreate a recipe from the state of Gujarat for Indian Cooking Challenge.
The first time I tried it was as soon as the challenge was announced but it was a total flop,so I thought of taking it easy this month.But after I saw my friends post the tempting recipe, I made it again this morning and they came out perfect!
As usual we were given two sets of procedures and I followed Lataji's method.The main point in getting the perfect khandvi is the consistency of the batter which I perfected in the second attempt.
All through the preparation Lil Angel watched me keenly eager to taste the result.She savored every bit of it and I wish I had made some more.
So here it is a very tempting snack from Gujarat that I always wanted to prepare...
Recipe Source - Lataji
Gram flour / Besan - 1/3 cup (heaped)
Curds / Yogurt - 1/3 cup slightly sour, beaten
Water - 1 cup
Ginger Green Chilli paste - 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Asafetida / Hing - a pinch
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil - 2 tablespoons
Cooking Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 2 teaspoons
Grated Coconut - 2 tablespoons
Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped - 2 tablespoons
Method to prepare:
1.Keep a thali or a flat plate well greased ready before proceeding to cook.
2.In a jar blend together besan, curd,water,turmeric,asafoetida powder and ginger green chilli paste .
3.Heat oil in a pan
4.Put in the besan - curd mixture
5.Mix well and bring to a boil
6. Keep stirring.The mixture will thicken and turn glossy.
7. The mixture will thicken further to this stage.If in a doubt,lower flame.Take a spoonful of batter and try spreading it on a greased plate.If the consistency is right,you will be able to spread it .If it is runny / watery, cook for some more time.
8.Transfer the mixture to the greased thali and spread it out evenly
9.Mark strips with a greased knife
10.Let it cool for a couple of minutes.Gently lift the edge with the knife and roll out the strips
11. Arrange on a serving tray. In another small pan,heat oil and put in the seasonings.When it splutters pour over the prepared khandvi .Serve garnished with coconut and coriander leaves.
Tasty Khandvi is ready to be savored!!!
Check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today...Srivalli,Monika, Jayasree , Priya Suresh, Azeema, Priya Srinivasan, Reva ,Ayeesha , Soumya , Veena and Usha
- If the batter does nt achieve the desired consistency i.e. not cooked enough,you will not be able to roll it out.
- Avoid handling the khandvi after it is rolled out as it is fragile and will break into pieces.
Labels: * Indian Cooking Challenge, Blogging Marathon, Gujarat, Party Snacks, Snack Bar, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes