This post is in my drafts for the past 2 years!My favorite kootu that never got noticed till now.Poriccha kootu is made with dal and veggies,similar to the other kootu varieties but unlike the normal kootu ,it does not need the roasted and ground spice mix.It tastes yum with steamed rice.This was prepared by mom long back and I can still recollect the taste...Yummy yum!
Moong dhal -1/2 cup [You can also use toor dhal]
Chow chow/ Chayote squash] -1 1/2 cups[You can also use cabbage,snake gourd]
Roasted Groundnut- a handful
Curry leaves-a few
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Gram dhal- 1 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
Coconut oil-2 teaspoons[You can use any cooking oil]
Grind to a paste with a little water
Ginger- 1 " piece
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Peppercorns- 1 teaspoon
- Pressure cook the dhal and vegetable with enough water and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, cumin, urad dhal, gram dhal, curry leaves, asafoetida powder.
- When it splutters and the dhal turns brown add the roasted groundnut.
- Put in the cooked dhal,veggie,ground paste, salt and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes till it thickens a bit[ reaches kootu consistency]
- Remove from flame and serve with piping hot steamed rice....
Please don't mind the click.It does not look very appealing.It was taken years back when my photographic skills were in the nascent stage...I will update this post with a better pic as soon as possible...
Labels: Better Half, Kootu Varieties, Sides for Rice, Split Moong Dal Recipes, Vegan varieties