This recipe has been on my ‘to-do’ list for a long , long time and finally I made this last week, the same day I spoke to mom about Paruppu podi.In fact I made both these spice mixes on the same day!
I saw this in Supriya’s Red chilli blog.I halved the ingredients.This is a nice spice mix, just like paruppu podi, to go with steamed rice. I love these sorts of mixes as they are something to turn to for a quick lunch, very filling and good for health too.
Source - Red Chillies
I used :
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Urad dhal – ½ a cup
- Roasted Bengal gram – ½ a cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns - 1 tablespoon
- Red chillies- 4
- Coriander seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds -1 teaspoon
- Dry ginger powder -1/2 a teaspoon
- Asafoetidapowder - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Roast the ingredients from 1 - 8 in a pan till golden brown.Take care not to burn the ingredients.
- Let it cool completely.
- Powder the roasted ingredients along with dry ginger powder , asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add salt and store in an airtight jar.
To serve, mix a few teaspoons of this spice mix with piping hot steamed rice. Drizzle sesame seed over it.Mix well with your fingers so that the powder coats the rice evenly and indulge!!!
Sending this to BB-9 -Holiday Buffet hosted by Nupur of One Hot Stove.If you have cooked anything inspired from other blogs,do send to across to her event.
This day that year...
2009 - Spice Mix for Masala Chai
Labels: Magic Masalas, tiffinsides