My favorite comfort food that can be made when u are in need of a quick dish to go with rice.I used Moongdhal here and it tastes awesome with the ash gourd.
Ash gourd ,cut into small cubes-2 cups
Moong dhal-1 cup
Kootu Podi - 2 teaspoons
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
White urad dal split-1/2 a teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Red chillies- 3
Salt to taste
- Wash moongdhal.
- In a pressure cooker container put in moong dhal and cubed pumpkin and add around one and a half cups water and pressure cook for 10 minutes or till the dhal is cooked and the pumpkin pieces are still intact.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, cumin seeds , Urad dhal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- When it splutters add the cooked dhal-pumpkin mixture and salt.
- Dissolve the kootu powder in a little water and add to the pan.[You can also add it directly , but when you mix the podi in water and then add,there will be no lumps.].Mix well.
- Simmer for a few minutes and serve with steamed rice.
- If the kootu is watery simmer till you get the right consistency.[Kootu is generally thicker than sambar.]
- It also goes well with Roti / Chapathi
This day That year..
2008 - Udin Hittu Raita - Prepared with roasted and powdered urad dhal powder to go with vegetable rice dishes like Pulao and briyani.
Labels: Better Half, Kootu Varieties, Sambar Varieties, Split Moong Dal Recipes, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side