I guess each family has a unique method of making this.What ever the method,summer is the best time to make this.
Green chillies- 1/2 a kilo
- Remove the stalk and slit the chillies lengthwise[.The chilli has to be whole,just slit it]
- Beat the yogurt with salt and soak the slit chillies for 2 days / refrigerate for 2 days.
- Drain the yogurt and spread them on a sheet / plate .
- Leave it out in the sun for a day.
- That evening soak the chillies in salted yogurt and set aside for a day.
- Again drain and spread the chillies on a sheet / plate to dry in the sun till crisp.Depending on the amount of sunshine this process may take a couple of days.Be sure to bring them indoor in the evening.
- Once it is fully dry,store in an airtight container.
When needed,fry these chillies in hot oil till dark brown/black..
This can be served as a side dish with curd rice or fried and crushed and mixed with the seasoning for curd rice.If you love them very much just fry and eat them as a snack[that what Mister would do!!!]
This day that year...
2008 - Aval Upma