Another sweet for Diwali.I saw this a few hours ago in Prathiba's The Chef And Her Kitchen and was so tempted by the color and the ease of preparation that I made it immediately.
Phirni as we know is a rice based dessert.It is actually very simple but one need to be a little cautious in not letting the mixture clump.Mostly it doesn't if you stir which will be around 10-12 minutes depending on how thick you want it or on the quantity you are making...
The carrots here are very very sweet so used just 1/2 a cup,grated and also less sugar.Adjust the quantity to suit your taste..
Source-The Chef And Her Kitchen
Basmati rice-a handful
Milk-1/2 a liter
Sugar -5 teaspoons
Cardamom powder-a pinch
Saffron -a few strands
Roasted ,Almonds and pistachio,chopped for garnish
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for half an hour.
- Soak the saffron strands in a little warm milk.
- Microwave the carrot,sprinkling a little water for 3 minutes or till done.You can also steam.pressure cook on a stove top.
- Drain rice and grind it along with cooked carrot to a coarse paste.
- Heat milk in a pan.
- When it boils ,simmer and add sugar,saffron with the milk,cardamom powder and the ground paste.
- Stir continuously, so that there are no lumps, till it thickens-around 10 minutes.[In case it forms lumps,Prathiba suggests you to sieve the mixture and press out the lumps before returning the mixture to the pan.]
- Remove from heat and serve warm / chilled garnished with almond/pista flakes.
Wishing all my friends and fellow bloggers
A very happy and safe Diwali...
Labels: Carrot, Diwali Sweets, Saffron, Sweet temptations