This is a wonderful recipe that I found in Soma’s Ecurry. It has a very Asian flavor with of course Asian ingredients, Chinese to be precise.
I prepared this like 8 months ago and today it saw the light of day! According to the original recipe you can use any other vegetable like broccoli , cauliflower , beans , carrots, etc but I just stuck to my favorite tofu with carrot and bell pepper. It was a little spicy to my liking but my folks loved it. We relished it with parathas
I used :
Firm Tofu – 1 block
Bell pepper- 2 cubed[I used green and red]
Onion-1,cut into chunks
Carrot-1,small,cut into thin strips
Chilli sauce-1 teaspoon
Soy sauce-1 tablespoon
Toasted sesame seeds-2 teaspoons
Chunky peanut butter -2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Sesame oil-2 tablespoons
1. Cut the tofu into rectangles.
2. Arrange the tofu in a plate and squeeze the ginger juice[from the grated ginger].Let it marinate for at least half an hour. If it sits for longer than that the taste gets better!!!
3. In a bowl combine peanut butter, soy sauce, chilli sauce, half of the crushed sesame seeds, minced garlic, a pinch of salt and around ¼ cup of water and whisk well. Keep aside.
4. Heat half the oil in a pan and place the tofu pieces on it. Cook till both the sides turn brown. When turning them over take care not to break the tofu pieces. Remove from oil and keep aside.
5. Put in the rest of the oil and add the onion,carrot and bell pepper.
6. Sauté of high flame for a couple minutes and add the tofu pieces. Mix taking care not to break them.
7. Pour the prepared sauce and simmer. Cover and cook for around 5 minutes.
8. If there is still a lot of sauce left, increase the heat and let it evaporate but there should be enough sauce to coat the tofu ad bell pepper.
9. Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining sesame seeds.
Goes well as a side dish with roti / chapathi.We had it with Methi Parathas
This one is off to my event Tasty Tofu Treats hosted here.
Labels: Touch of the Orient, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side