It is so popular in Israel and other East Arabs that is sometimes referred to as a National Food!The commonly used legumes are fava beans and Garbanzo beans /Chickpeas.
Falafel made from chickpeas are good source of proteins, complex carbohydrates and a host of vitamins and minerals. The baked method is healthier than the fried ones.
Garbanzo beans /Chickpeas – 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste-1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Roasted cumin powder-1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves-a handful,finely chopped
Sesame seeds to coat
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight and the next morning pressure cook till soft. If you forget to soak, you can put the beans in a rice cooker and add lots of water and switch on the cook mode and cook for a couple of hours. Else used canned chickpeas. Rinse well before use.
2. Pulse the drained chick peas in a mixie to a thick coarse paste.Do not add water, sprinkle if needed. Remove to a bowl.
3. Dip the bread in water for a few seconds and squeeze out the water, crumble and add to the ground paste.
4. Add the cumin powder, chilli powder, salt, coriander leaves, onion, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
5. Divide into small balls / patties.
6. Coat the balls/ patties with sesame seeds.
7. Heat oil for deep frying and when it is hot, reduce the flame and drop each ball /patties into the oil.
8. Fry till the balls /patties are golden brown in color.
Drain and serve with tomato sauce.
Alternatively you can also bake /shallow fry the falafel. Using sesame seeds for coating is optional. If the coated sesame seeds come off while frying you can also add it to the ground paste.
This is off to Divya who is hosting the 28th edition of My legume love affair,an event started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook
For the wrap I used a chapathi and placed a couple of lettuce leaves, tomato slices and a falafel over it. Wrapped it up and served. Delicious!!!!
While you enjoy this Middle Eastern Street food,do take a look at the Palace at the Garden City in India...
Also take a look at the other recipe posted today -Vegetable Hokkien Noodle Stir-fry that I made for taste and Create...