I promised myself to send a full course meal to Srivalli's MEC which is celebrating its third anniversary and the theme is potluck.I made Tomato ka shorba for my first entry and now going on to make main dishes.I wish I had more time to prepare all the items I had planned.But I will post those that are ready as the deadline is drawing nearer.
This drumstick sambar was prepared in the MW.When I used to prepare it in the stove top method many times the drumstick would get split in the pressure cooker but here they are very much intact and tastes just the same.
Drumstick-2,cut into 1-2" pieces like you do for the regular sambar.
Toor dhal-1/2 a cup
Pearl onions- 1/2 a cup
Sambar powder-3 teaspoons
Curry leaves- a few
Fenugreek seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Soak Tamarind in a 1/4 a cup water and microwave for 30 seconds and extract the pulp and keep aside.
- Soak dhal in water for 10 minutes and drain well.
- While it is draining,take the drumstick pieces in a microwave proof bowl and add 1/4 cup water and microwave covered for 6 minutes or till 90% done.Check a couple of times in between or else you will end up with split open drumstick pieces.
- Pulse the dhal in a mixer a couple of times.[It should not become powder.Should be very coarse.]
- In a large microwave proof bowl put in oil,mustard,asafoetida,curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, chillies and mix well.Microwave for 5 minutes or till onion is soft.
- Add the tomato pieces,mix well and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Put in the tamarind extract,sambar powder,salt and mix well.Add a few teaspoons of water if it becomes very thick Microwave for 1 minute or till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the toor dhal,one and a half cups of water and mix well.Check for salt,add more if required and microwave on medium for 15 minutes..Keep checking in between and stir occasionally.
- Add the drumstick pieces and microwave for 3 minutes.Check if the dal is cooked or microwave till done.Let it stand for 2 minutes before removing it from the microwave.
This also goes to Srivalli other event-365 days of MW cooking
Please note that the timing vary with each brand.Use this recipe as a guideline and follow your regular timings in your microwave.
Labels: Better Half, Microwave Magic, Sambar Varieties, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties