Once while browsing thro Maduri's Cook Curry Nook,I saw this recipe and tried it out.It was simply superb and Lil angel loved every bit of it.
Actually,after living in China for nearly 4 years,I have never seen/heard this stuff being mentioned in any restaurant or by my Chinese friends.But ask anyone in India and they are bound to vouch that it is a Chinese dish!!!Where did it get this connection and how it got its Chinese origin is still a mystery to me!!
No worries if they are of Indian or Chinese origin coz they taste great and is an excellent starter that can prepared very quickly.I made very few changes in Madhuri's recipe and we loved it.
I used:The original recipe is here
Baby corn- 10 numbers
Onion-1,finely chopped[The original recipe calls for spring onion.I did not have it so used onion]
Soy sauce-1 teaspoon
Chilli sauce-1/2 a teaspoon
Soy-sauce – 1 tbsp
All purpose flour/Maida-1/4 cup
Corn flour-2 tablespoons
Soy sauce-1/2 a teaspoon
Chilli powder-1/2 a teaspoon
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients mentioned under batter [except water] and mix well.Add water little by little and make a thin batter without lumps.Keep aside.
- Pressure cook the babycorn for 2 whistles or 10 minutes till almost done with enough water.Drain.Once cooled,slit vertically.
- Heat oil in a wok.Put the baby corn pieces into the batter to and mix gently to coat.[Alternatively you can dip the pieces in batter.I had very little batter so mixed it together]
- Fry them in batches and drain on absorbent paper.If they stick together while frying,separate them once cooled.Keep aside.
- In another pan,heat oil and saute the ginger garlic and onion.
- Reduce the flame and add soya sauce and chillli sauce.Stir.
- Immediately add the fried babycorn.Mix well so that all the ingredients combine.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with spring onion greens or coriander leaves.
Sending this to Veggie/fruit a month-Corn, hosted at Toviewtoronto,an event conceptualized by Priya.
Labels: Dry Veg Curries, Goodies from veggies, Snack Bar, Vegan varieties