Here is a step-by-step procedure to prepare it at home.
1.Heat the required quantity of milk in a vessel.Bring it to boil ans switch off the flame.[Here I used 1 litre milk]
2.Squeeze out the juice of lemon into the vessel.[I used half a lemon].Vinegar can also be used.If it does not curdle immediately/fully add some more lemon juice/vinegar.
3.The milk will curdle immediately.Let it stand for sometime [around 10-15 minutes].
Take a closer look....
4.Strain the contents of the vessel.
5.Remove the paneer onto a vessel and wash with water a couple of times to remove sourness.
6.Drain and transfer the paneer onto a muslin cloth/cheese cloth.
7.Squeeze out the water and hang the cloth till the whey completely drains out.[It took an hour!]
Paneer is now ready to be used in a dish of your choice.
I got just this much paneer from 1 litre milk.
Here is the whey water.
Whey is very nutritious .So here is what we can do with it...
- Store this whey in the fridge and the next time you prepare chapathi/Roti use this water to make the dough.
- It can also be used instead of lemon juice[as a starter] the next time u make paneer.
- Use it as a soup base
- Add a pinch of salt and drink it up
- Use it while preparing baked goodies.
- Use it in milkshakes instead/with milk.