First we have to prepare the CHITHRANNA GOJJU ,that can be mixed with steamed rice.This gojju also tastes best with curd rice / idli / dosa.
There are umpteen variations in this like adding a bit of jaggery if it is too sour / using roasted and powdered fenugreek seeds etc.This is the easiest recipe of the lot and keeps well for months in the freezer.
Tamarind extract- 1 cup,thick
Gram dhal-1 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1 teaspoon
Muatard-1/2 a teaspoon
Roasted groundnuts-3 teaspoons
Red chillies-10,broken into bits
Asafoetida powder-a pinch
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Curry leaves- a few
Sesame seed oil-2 tablespoons
Salt -To taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Put in mustard,gram dhal,urad dhal,asafoetida,red chillies.
- When they turn brown add groundnuts, curry leaves and after a few seconds add tamarind extract.
- Add turmeric powder,salt.Mix well
- Simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or till the contents reduce to a thick paste.By this time you can see oil floating on the surface.Stir once in a while.
- Remove from heat and store in an air tight container once cooled.
This yummy rice is joining the Think spice-Think tamarind event held in my blog..