Just as Puli Sadham is to Kongunad,Chitranna is a specialty in Karnataka.A tangy rice dish that is very simple to prepare and very very yummy.
First we have to prepare the CHITHRANNA GOJJU ,that can be mixed with steamed rice.This gojju also tastes best with curd rice / idli / dosa.
There are umpteen variations in this like adding a bit of jaggery if it is too sour / using roasted and powdered fenugreek seeds etc.This is the easiest recipe of the lot and keeps well for months in the freezer.
Tamarind extract- 1 cup,thick
Gram dhal-1 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1 teaspoon
Muatard-1/2 a teaspoon
Roasted groundnuts-3 teaspoons
Red chillies-10,broken into bits
Asafoetida powder-a pinch
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Curry leaves- a few
Sesame seed oil-2 tablespoons
Salt -To taste
When you are ready to serve,mix the required quantity of gojju with piping hot steamed rice and serve with a crispy of your choice.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Put in mustard,gram dhal,urad dhal,asafoetida,red chillies.
- When they turn brown add groundnuts, curry leaves and after a few seconds add tamarind extract.
- Add turmeric powder,salt.Mix well
- Simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or till the contents reduce to a thick paste.By this time you can see oil floating on the surface.Stir once in a while.
- Remove from heat and store in an air tight container once cooled.
This yummy rice is joining the Think spice-Think tamarind event held in my blog..
Labels: Karnataka, KLBRice, Kuzhambu Varieties, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties