After a long time I am posting a North Indian side dish.Of late,I have been trying out a lot of dishes from my blogging buddies and yes,this one too is from a fellow blogger,Sudeshna,who writes at Cook like a Bong.
I have a soft corner for cabbage,[famed as a stinky vegetable] and prepare many types of dishes right from stir fry to mixed rice variety and this version is a Bengali style stir fry that goes well as a side dish with steamed rice and Chapathi.
I used :[The original recipe is here]
Cabbage-1 small,finely chopped
Potato-1 small,peeled and finely chopped
Fresh green peas-a handful
Grated ginger-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder -1 teaspoon
Chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Green chillies- 2,chopped
Curry leaves- a few
Garam masala: ½ a teaspoons
Fennel seed-1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Cook potato and peas till tender but not mushy and keep aside.[I microwaved it for 6 minutes on high].
- Similarly cook cabbage and keep aside.[I microwaved it on high for 5 minutes].
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,fennel seeds,curry leaves,bay leaf,green chillies .
- When the mustard splutters add the ginger paste and onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Put in chilli powder,garam masala,salt,cumin powder,turmeric powder and mix well.Sprinkle water if the mixture is too dry.
- Add the cooked cabbage,potato and peas and stir well.
- Simmer and allow the flavors to blend.Sprinkle water if required.
- After a few minutes,remove from heat and serve.
I wanted to make it without any changes but by force of habit added mustard and onions and forgot tomatoes.The original recipe calls for sugar but I was skeptical as my folks like spicy stuffs so left it out too.Nevertheless,I shall still call it a Bengali dish and needless to say we enjoyed it!!
Labels: Bengali Cuisine, Dry Veg Curries, Goodies from veggies, Green Peas, Vegan varieties