A south Indian meal would be incomplete without this dish.It has in it all the goodness and taste that is hard not to fall in love with it.
A combination of rice ,lentils,vegetables and spices makes this dish a one pot meal.It is that kind of dish where you put all the stuff in a pot and forget about it until you have switch off the stove-A dish that requires no supervision.
Toor dhal-1/2 a cup
Sambar powder - 2 teaspoons
Mixed vegetables - 2 cups[Brinjal,carrot,potato,beans,peas,cauliflower,cabbage]
Tamarind extract-1 tablespoon,thick
Turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Salt to taste
Stir and serve hot with crispies of your chioce or with a raita.
- Wash rice and dhal in several changes of water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and put in mustard,jeera and curry leaves
- When they splutter add the onion and saute till soft.
- Put in tomato and cook for a few seconds.
- Add all the vegetables and stir .
- Put in 4 cups of water and bring to a boil..The principle is that we add a little more water to the rice:water ratio you usually use as this dish has to be a little gooey. Sometimes I add more water and when I am not in a mood for a gooey rice, I add the right quantity of water...
- Put in rice,dhal,sambar powder,salt,tamarind extract and mix well.
- Cover and pressure cook for 15 minutes or till done.
Labels: Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties