Looking for a recipe that is loaded with goodness yet simple to prepare?Then here you are looking at the perfect one-Garlicky spinach rice.
If you little one runs away at the sight of green vegetables,then try this rice dish as the spinach is pureed and they can't recognize what is in the dish!This colorful dish is sure to please elders and kids alike.
Spinach-1 small bunch,roughly chopped
Cooked rice 1 1/2 cups
Tomato-1 small,finely chopped
Onion-1 small,finely chopped
Garlic-2 pods,finely chopped
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Grind to a fine paste with a little water:
Green chillies-3[adjust to taste]
- Heat a pan with water.When it comes to a boil,put in the spinach and switch off the heat.Wait for a minutes ,drain the spinach and put it into a bowl of cold water.Leave for a minutes,drain and puree in a blender without adding water.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in cumin seeds.
- When they crackle,add the finely chopped garlic and onion.Saute till the onion is soft.
- Add the tomato and cook till mushy.
- Put in the ground paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach puree and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with a raita and pappad.
- I got 1 cup puree with the bunch of spinach I used.
- First take out some of the spinach gravy from the pan and add the rice.Sometimes,the gravy will be more than what is required for the rice and the taste is not very good.After adding rice,check the taste and add more spinach gravy if required.If there is more gravy,add extra rice.
- Can also use butter instead of oil.
- You can use left over rice also.Just ensure that the grains are separate.
Labels: KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties