Traditionally we use Boondhi ladles that are made of iron with rims so that the batter does not flow outside the ladle.For now I could not go looking for it and prepared with the ladle I had...
Gram flour -2 cups
Rice flour - 1/2 a cup
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder - to taste
Curry leaves- a few
Cashew nuts - a few
Oil for deep frying
1. In a large bowl put in gram flour+rice flour and add water to make a smooth batter of pouring consistency.[You can add salt in this step if you want and omit it in the final step].The batter should in a consistency that can coat a spoon.If its too watery the boondhi will be flat.If it is too thick ,it will not fall off the slotted spoon.
2. Heat oil and fry the cashews till brown.keep aside
3. Similarly,fry the curry leaves till crunchy.Crush and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan.
5. When hot,hold the slotted ladle in your left hand and take a ladleful of batter and pour over the slotted ladle.Take care that it does not overflow.
[Note:Once the oil is hot simmer and start .If the oil is too hot or not hot enough the biindhi will not turn out crunchy.]
6. Gently tap the slotted ladle.The batter will fall as droplets.
7. Fry till golden and drain.Repeat for the remaining batter.Let it cool completely.
8. In a big bowl,put in the fried boondhi,crushed curry leaves,fried cashews and add salt and red chilli powder.Toss and store in an airtight container .