I had bookmarked this recipe from Alka of Sindhi Rasoi.It is a Sindhi dish that is served for breakfast.Alka explains that Seyal is a term that refers to the method of cooking with onions and garlic with little water and sometimes without water too.
I had got a pack of buns the last time I went shopping and I was preparing one dish or the other for the evening snacks that the pack of bun remained ignored.Finally one morning hubby asked me what I planned to do with the buns that has been sitting there for quite some days. I winked and said it would be his snack for the evening. Maybe he thought I was joking or that I was just going to pass around buttered buns with tea!
For this easy and delicious dish I used:
Potato-1,peeled and finely chopped
Onion -1 ,chopped
Curry leaves-a few
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Microwave potato for 5 minutes or till soft.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, jeera and wait for it to splutter
3. Put in curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and sauté for a minute.
4. Add the onions and cook till translucent.
5. Put in the tomato and cook till soft.
6. Next in goes the turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt .[If you are want to cook the potato on the stove top,add it in this stage and cover and cook till soft]
7. Mix well and add about 1 cup of water to get a gravy consistency.
8. When it comes to a boil put in the bun and mix gently so that the gravy coats the bun pieces.
9. Simmer for a minute and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
A hungry hubby was indeed happy to see that the buns had turned into something better than he expected!!
Though this is a breakfast dish we had it as a snack with tea.Since this has become our new found favorite snack,this goes to EC for her WYF:Teatime snack event
Also sending this to Ria who is hosting Tried and tasted for Sept 2010 and the blog she chose was Alka's Sindhi Rasoi.T&T is an event started by Zlamuska and carried on by Lakshmi .
Labels: Morning Raga, Snack Bar