We have about 3 dozens of organic apples-Thanks to hubby's friend who them passed over to us straight from the farm.Had it been summer ,it would have vanished in a couple of days either as a fruit salad or as juice.But in winter no one is in a mood to eat fruits of any kind other than strawberry.After raking my brains I experimented with this rabri and it did turn out well.
Rabri is a dessert famous in Rajastan and Hariyana.It is also found in the Pakistani cuisine.There are two types of Rabri-the sweet and the savory varieties.The savory one is made with flour and buttermilk and masala,salt and cumin are added for flavor.
I prepared the sweet version in the microwave.Lil angel was a little skeptical to try it out but after coaxing her and feeding a spoonful she was delighted.I have added a small dose of saffron to add to the richness of the dish.
I used :
Milk -3 cups
Condensed milk-2 tablespoons
Apple-1 large,peeled ,cored and grated
Saffron-a few stands,soaked in a teaspoon of warm milk
Cardamom powder- a pinch
An easy dessert ready in 10 minutes!!
- In a microwave safe bowl,put in milk and microwave on medium heat till the milk reduces to 3/4th the original quantity.It took 8 minutes in mine.Stir twice in between.
- Rub the saffron into the milk in which it has been soaking and add it to the bowl along with condensed milk,apple,cardamom powder.
- Mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Let it stand for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and serve warm / chilled.
I am sending this warm bowl of Saffron-apple Rabri to DK for the event JFI-Saffron.
- Use a deep bowl to prevent milk from spilling over.
- I did not add sugar as the condensed milk and apple imparted sweetness to the dish.
- Use sweet apples only otherwise the taste is spoilt.
- If you prefer,you can use the apple by grating it without removing the peel.
- You can also garnish them with nuts and dried fruits.
Labels: Diwali Sweets, Fun With Fruits, Microwave Magic, Rajastani Cuisine, Saffron, Sweet temptations