Gajar ka dhoodh is a delicious blend of carrots,almonds,milk,condensed milk with a hint of spices-cardamom and saffron.
Gajar ka dhodh reminds me of my aunt who used to prepare this for my cousin and me.I used to spend my winter vacation with my aunts family and they would spend the summer vacations with us.It used to be a lot of fun being together with my cousin sister even though she is two years younger than me.The amount of pranks we used to play on our parents,going for long walk talking about sweet nothings and harmless gossips,the amount of junk food we used to secretly gobble up,buying clothes that look alike seems fuuny now but at that time it was the most happy days of our lives..
Apart from the joys of being together, we used to look forward to the delicious food that mom and aunt prepared for us.Though my mom and aunts are sisters ,their style of cooking is so different but equally yum.
This recipe that I am going to share here used to be prepared by my aunt in summer .She used to serve this chilled and I can still recollect the rich taste and the cooling effect it had on the body.
Now,being winter,I prepared the warm version of this drink and in the microwave.
Carrot- 1 large,grated
Milk 2 cups
Condensed m,ilk-2 tablespoons
Pistachio - 5
Saffron -a few threads
Sugar if required.
Serve warm or chilled.
- In a small microwave proof bowl put in the almonds and fill it to 3/4 with water and microwave on high for 3 minutes.Let it stand for a minute and then remove from the microwave.
- Hold the almonds between your thumb and fore finger and apply a little pressure,the skin will come off easily.[If this doesn't happen microwave for another minute or so].Keep the blanched almonds aside.
- Soak pistachio nuts in warm water;Saffron to be soaked in a teaspoon of warm milk.
- In a large microwave proof bowl,put in grated carrots and 1 cup milk and microwave on high for 5 minutes or till the carrot is cooked.Stir once in between.Let it stand for 2 minutes and remove from microwave.Allow to cool.
- Combine almonds,pistachio nuts[drain water] and carrot with the remaining milk[in the bowl that you used to cook carrots.] in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- In a large microwave proof bowl put in blended carrots,1 cup milk,condensed milk and stir well.Microwave on medium for 2 minutes.Stir at the end of a minute.
- Put in the cardamom,saffron soaked in milk and sugar if using,mix well and microwave for 1 minute.Let it stand for a minute before taking it out of the microwave..
It can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.You can also prepare it by pressure cooking the carrots and follow the above recipe.For varying taste use different types of nuts.Try using a pinch of cinnamon too.
This drink is nutritious with carrots and nuts.It will makes moms happy to see their 'veggie hater' kid enjoy this Vitamin A rich beverage,not to mention that adults would love it too.
This healthy drink goes to Jfi Saffron hosted by DK.
Labels: Carrot, Microwave Magic, Saffron, Sweet temptations