Almost everyday this summer, I made my way to the farmers market to buy vegetables.Since the vegetables are so fresh I didn't have the mind to buy them in bulk and stock them up.I preferred to treat my eyes and palette with farm fresh vegetables everyday.
Each time I go there,I can see the lady at the tofu stand look at me.Sometimes I think she is just looking at me coz I am the only 'foreigner lady' in that locality,sometimes I would feel she is looking at me amused as to what a foreigner is doing at the local market instead of going to the mall,other days I would think that she is waiting for me to come and buy her tofu.Well,this is just my imagination and God knows what she is really thinking when she sees me.
Then one fine day I decided to go to her stand to get Tofu.I have tasted tofu in restaurants but never prepared a dish with it at home.I made my way to her stand,past all the vegetable stalls,the meat counter and fish tanks and got a cube of Tofu.It cost just 1RMB for a cube weighing approximately 200g!![That's really cheap you know]
I got it home and MIL looked at me with a big question mark on her face.I said I was not sure what I am going to prepare with it but got it anyway.I drained it and placed the chopping board over it and a few more grocery jars on it[to drain the remaining water] and that's when the idea of bhurji struck me.
Bhurji is the Indianized version of scramble and this tofu scramble is a great treat for vegetarians and Vegans.
It is popularly believed that Tofu is bland but its this very fact that makes it all the more interesting.It blends with any dish into which it is incorporated and 'takes-in' those flavors!!Tofu is loaded with protein and has tons of health benefits.
Simple and easy to prepare Tofu Bhurji-just for you..
- Tofu – 200 grams
- Tomato – 1 small,chopped
- Onion-1 small,chopped
- Colored bell pepper -1/4 cup chopped [I used red and green]
- Boiled peas[optional]
- Oil- 2 teaspoon
- Jeera/cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-a pinch
- Chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste-1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Drain tofu and place a chopping board over it and top it with some heavy weight object .[This is to drain the remaining water.Water tends to spoil the taste of the dish].Let it remain as such till the water is fully drained.
- Crumble the tofu in a bowl and put in the ingredients from 8-13.
- Mix well and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan and put in jeera.
- When it splutters,put in onion and sauté till transparent.
- Put in tomato and bell pepper.
- Cook till tomato is soft.
- Add the tofu mixture,boiled peas and mix well.
- Cook for another 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm garnished with coriander leaves.
This bhurji can be served as a side dish with Roti/Chapathi or as a snack.Sending this to Sara'sSay cheese event.Thanks Sara for letting me know about this wonderful event!
Also sending this healthy entry to My legume love affair- 17th edition,hosted by Sra of 'When my soup came alive'.MMLA is an event started by Susan of The well seasoned cook.It was only when I going through Sra's announcement page that I learnt that Tofu recipes are also accepted!!!
Updated:Sending this to Cilantro's Glabal Kadai josted by Jaya with the theme Tofu
Labels: Green Peas, Rotisides, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side