As we all know, sesame seeds are used in a variety of ways and here is a tasty spice mix with a sesame flavor. Paired with plain rice and ghee, it is a dish to relish. Prepare this spice mix in small batches and store in an airtight container and when you are too lazy to cook for yourself or in a hurry, just use this flavourful spice mix and your lunch is ready. You can serve this spice mix and rice as such or pair it up with a veggie stirfry, pappad and raita for a complete meal.
Though I have used other spices and lentils, sesame’s characteristic flavor is predominant.
1. Sesame seeds[White] - 1 cup, roasted
2. Gram dhal - 1/4 cup
3. Urad dhal - 1/4 cup
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
6. Red chillies - 5
7. Garlic pods – 5, crushed
8. Oil - 1 teaspoon
9. Salt to taste
Now here are the steps:
1. Heat oil in a pan[medium flame] and put in Bengal gram and urad dhal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and fry till the dhals brown and take care that they do not burn. Remove from fire and cool.
2. In the same pan put in the garlic and toss around for some time till they start turning light brown. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Grind the dhal-mixture to a coarse powder and add garlic and sesame seeds.
4. Give it a few shots in the mixer -just a few seconds each.
5. Remove to a plate,add salt and mix well
6. Store in an airtight container.
If the sesame seeds + garlic are ground for longer periods, they either form a ball or become pasty, so just give them a few shots for a few seconds till they are coarsely ground
This spice mix is for my event Think Spice - Think Sesame Seeds!
Labels: Magic Masalas, Sesame Seeds, Vegan varieties