This easy to prepare flavored rice is apt for both the busy and the lazy days when a quick meal is needed. Coriander adds a delicate flavor, the coconut imparts richness and a few spices takes the dish to another level!! It works wonders with leftover rice.
1. Cooked rice – 2 cups
2. Onion - 1 chopped
3. Tomato - 1 chopped
4. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Ghee/oil - 2 teaspoons
7. Salt to taste
8. Grind following to a paste with little water
A small bunch coriander leaves
Green chillies – 4
Garlic – 3 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Cinnamon – a small piece
Coconut - 3 tablespoons, grated
Follow these steps...
1. Heat oil/ghee in a pan and put in the mustard and jeera
2. When they crackle add onions and sauté till transparent.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes till almost soft.
4. Add the ground paste, salt and mix well.
5. Cook for a few minutes till the raw smell of the spices disappear.
6. Add a little water if this mixture is too dry.
7. Put in the cooked rice and mix well.
8. Reduce the flame, cover and cook for a few more minutes for the flavors to blend.
Serve hot with a pappad and raita of your choice.
If too much coriander is used, it will impart bitterness to the dish, so use it judiciously.
This simple recipe is for my event – Let’s Go Nuts - Coconut!
Labels: Cooking with herbs / flowers, Herbs, Rendezvous with Rice