For a long time I wanted to prepare this sesame flavored rice and this time when I went back home, I asked mom to prepare it for me. It is a dish full of flavor and we get the full benefits of sesame’s nutrients. Apart from this, I can say that this is a change from the routine of the usual rice dishes like Tomato rice, Lemon rice and the like...
1. Rice - 1 cup, cooked [grains should be separate]
2. Sesame seeds - 5 tablespoons
3. Urad dhal - 1 teaspoons
4. Gram dhal - 1 teaspoon
5. Redchilli - 2 broken into bits
6. Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
7. Asafoetida a pinch
8. Sesame seed/Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
9. Mustard - 1 teaspoon
10. Urad dhal – 1/2 teaspoon
11. Gramdhal - 1/2 teaspoon
12. Curry leaves – a few
Now the steps:
1. Dry roast sesame seeds and keep it aside.
2. Fry the urad dhal, gram dhal, fenugreek seeds and red chillies in oil till the dhal turns brown. Cool.
3. Grind the sesame seeds and the dhal mixture to a coarse powder.
4. Spread the cooked rice on a plate and sprinkle the powder over it.
5. In a small pan, heat oil and put in the seasonings.
6. When the mustard crackles and the dhal turns brown take off from heat and pour over the rice.
7. Mix gently so that the sesame powder and the seasonings are evenly spread.
8. Serve hot as such or with a raita of your choice.
This dish is off to my event Think Spice - Think Sesame Seeds!
Labels: Rendezvous with Rice, Sesame Seeds, Vegan varieties