Winter is that time of the year which makes you crave for something hot and spicy and also that which can be on the plate very quickly.That's what I was thinking with just a little of the Garbanzo/Chickpea left after I had prepared Chole.And that's when this spicy channa pulao knocked my door :)
You need:[For 1 serving]
Chickpea/Garbanzo -1/2 a cup
Rice ,cooked-3/4th cup[grains should be separate]
Cumin seeds/Jeera-1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon [Adjust to taste]
Sambar Powder-1 teaspoon or
Garam masala/All spice powder-1/2 a teaspoon
Spring onions-2 stalks [white and green portion chopped and separated]
Ginger- garlic paste-1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Soak the channa overnight and pressure cook it the next morning till done.The channa should not get mushy.
- Heat butter in a pan and put in jeera.
- When it crackles put in onions,ginger garlic paste and spring onion whites and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Now put in the tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Add the red chilli powder,sambar powder or garam masala,salt and cook till the raw smell disappears.If the pan is too dry add a few teaspoons of water.
- Put in the cooked beans and rice and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and sprinkle a little water if the rice is dry and cook covered for 5 minutes so the the flavours blend.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with spring onion greens.
- Hot and spicy channa pulao is now ready to be served with plain yogurt/raita and pappad.
This spicy pulao goes to Susan's -My legume love affair now hosted by Suganya of Tasty Palettes.
Labels: KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties