The peels of veggies and fruits are said to be as nutritious as the things they cover.Most vitamins and minerals in many fruits and veggies lie right underneath the outer peel hence it is best not to peel them.Scrub the veggies or fruits and eat it with the peel[ie where ever possible.Just because it is nutritous I would'nt ask u to eat the jackfruit peel :)].But in certain recipes we need to peel and often throw it away thinking it is inedible.This is one recipe that tells you how we can use the peel and get credits for it.Not only will we get the fiber,vitamins and minerals,we will also be showered with appreciation.Now,thats one thing we all love to get,don't we!!This chutney will taste as though a few mint leaves have been added but actually we are not going to add any..Now to the recipe....
Ridgegourd peel - 1/2 cup[chopped]
Urad dhal-2 teaspoons
Gram dhal-2 teaspoons
Tamarind- a small bit
Salt to taste
Urad dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies -2
Oil- 3 teaspoon
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the peels and saute till the raw smell goed off.It will wilt but don't worry.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat a little oil and put in urad ,gram dhal,red chillies and roast till they turn golden brown.Remove from fire and cool.
- Grind the peel,dhals,chillies,tamarind,coconut and salt to a smooth paste adding water little by little.Remove and it into a serving bowl.
- Heat oil and put in the seasonings.
- When they crackle and the dhal turns brown pour over the chutney.
- Mix well and serve as an accompaniment with any tiffin of your choice.
I had prepared this and served it with Iddli and my dad really could'nt find what it was made of!!
Also seen in this pic is Dosai Milagai podi -another accompaniment[a kind of spicy dhal mix].I will post the recipe for that later..
On day RM # 2 ,10 my fellow marathoners are busy in their kitchen.I'm gona go and have a look @
1) DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)Curry Leaf 6)Medha7)Priya 8)Bhawna 9)Raaji 10)Ruchii 11)Anu 12)Kamala
13)Roopa 14)Divya Kudua 15)Rekha 16)Divya M 17)Lakshmi 18)Raaga 19)Lakshmi Venkatesh 20)Sripriya
Labels: Taste from waste, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties