I am sure that all of us[or at least most of us] have gone through the 'I-hate-greens' phase in spite of hearing the advice -"Eat your greens"! .Looking back now,I can understand why mom used to emphasize on the addition of greens in the diet.
The nutritive value of green leafy vegetables[Keerai/Soppu] cannot be undermined.Though some greens are used to add flavor,there are others which provide some vital vitamins and minerals that we need.
So,here is an easy greens gravy recipe that I learnt from my MIL.This is a change from the usual kootu/greens stir fry.
This recipes goes in for Food in colors-Green hosted by Sunshinemom.
Greens-1 bunch,finely chopped
Shallots-10 no.s, sliced
Tomato - 1 chopped
Red chilles-4 [adjust to taste]
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Coconut oil - 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Jeera - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves-a few
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and put in the onions,garlic and saute till light brown keeping it in low flame.
- Add the tomatoes,asafoetida and red chillies and saute for a minute.
- Put in the greens,salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle the required amount of water and keep the pan covered and cook in low flame.
- Check once in a while ,stir and add water if needed.
- When the greens are cooked,remove from fire and transfer into a bowl.
- Mash well with a wooden spatula.[Traditionally we use 'maththu'].
- Heat the coconut oil and add the seasonings and let it crackle.
- Pour over the greens gravy and mix well.
- Serve with rice or chappathi.
1.I have tried this in most variety of greens but not with fenugreek.Very tasty when prepared with palak,amaranth.
2.Cook the greens covered and in low flame.
3.Onions [1 no. sliced] can be used instead of shallots.
3.If coconut oil is not available use regular cooking oil for seasoning but the real flavour is got from coconut oil .
4.Do not grind the greens in a mixie as it will make it gooey.
Labels: Better Half, Herbs, Misc Rice Sides, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side