Herb Lemonade

There are plenty of basil shrubs in my garden and I really don't know how they spread so much that I sometimes feel I have a mini basil garden!!

So,when herb mania-basil was announced,I was happy I had the herb in plenty but unfortunately,I could not send my entry.But my 'lucky' basil has now found its place in AFAM:Lemon in Herb lemonade.

Updated 11/8/2011 - This also goes to Reva @ Kaarasaaram who is hosting my event Herbs and Flowers in my platter with the theme - Basil

If you are bored with the usual lemonade,this one is for you.I assure you that it will leave you refreshed.




You need:

For herb syrup:


Fresh basil - 2 cups packed
Water -2 cups water
Sugar -1 cup
Lemon zest- a few strips

1.Lightly crush the basil and bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan.
2.Stir until sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil.[Don't let it boil for too long].Remove from heat
3.Let it stand covered for an hour.
4.Strain syrup through a sieve and discard the solids. This syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for a week


The basil syrup was not green as I had expected,so I removed the lemon zest and put the liquid along with the basil in blender and gave it a go for a few minutes and then strained it.The result was a 'really dark' green syrup!


For the herb lemonade:

Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Herb syrup - According to taste
Chilled water

Ice cubes [Optional]

Stir together all ingredients [except ice cubes] in a large pitcher, then pour into glasses half filled with ice.Another way to serve is preparing the herb lemonade without the ice and chill before serving.




 This photograph has the basil syrup in the background and the herb lemonade.When I was plucking the basil for the syrup,these beautiful blue flowers shone in the morning light and I made them a part of this photograph.

Bon Appetit...

Labels: , , ,