The Green Wonder

Did you know that there is an ancient Chinese proverb that says “Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one”?

Let me explain…..When I first landed in China, I was amazed to see people all around me drink green tea. Yes, no matter what time of the day it was, you could see them with a tall glass of Chinese tea. I soon learnt that tea, called “cha” in Chinese has been one of the daily necessities in China since time immemorial.

I too have heard the benefits to this green tea/Chinese tea but never really believed people would consume it so often.

I went looking for information about this ‘Wonder tea’ and look what I found.

Green tea is the variety which keeps the original color of the tea leaves without fermentation during processing. The enzymes in the leaves [which cause discoloring and fermentation] are deactivated by several minutes of steam heating. Because green tea looks and tastes nearer the original condition of the plant, only good and tender leaves are generally used for making green tea.

I read that there are no major bad effects on consuming large quantities of green tea.It is generally recommended that you can consume 4-5 cups a day along with a healthy diet.

So, how do we prepare a cup of Chinese Tea ??? Well,just pour boiling water over the leaves, let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes, and your tea is ready. It’s as simple as that. The quantity of tea leaves will depend on the strength of the tea you prefer.

Now that our cup of tea is ready lets get to know its health benefits..

1. It is said to have antioxidant properties

2. Green tea is said to aid in preventing cancers of the gastrointestinal tract such as cancer of the stomach, small intestine, pancreas, and colon.

3. Researchers have found that drinking green tea can reduce the ‘bad’ Cholesterol.

4. Green tea has been extensively tested and been found to be highly beneficial in lowering blood pressure and aiding the recovery of heart attack victims.

5. Preventing bad breath

6. Maintains fluid balance in the body

7. Relives fatigue and stress

8. Boosts immune function

9. Delays ageing

10. Calorie burning!!.It helps by promoting energy expenditure and promoting fat burning! Wow!!!! Isn’t that good news!

These are just a few of the benefits I found interesting but the list goes on.

Before I forget let me tell you something. A few months days ago I asked my Chinese neighbor[- a slim and beautiful lady], the age of her cute little daughter. She told me her daughter was 5 years old and she was 38!! [I swear I didn’t ask hers.] I just couldn’t believe my ears. She didn’t look a day older that 25 .So, maybe this too is her ‘secret formula’.

Labels: ,